Over the years, I’ve had long hair, short hair, black hair, blond hair, red, purple and pink hair and even a shaved head one summer in college (I was doing a lot of coding and it was the mid 90’s, I was really into the riot grrrl movement). The only consistency with my head has been that through it all, I have kept my curls natural. Partly because I am lazy and unable to use hair tools correctly but mostly because I enjoy the curls. As I am having a particularly good hair day, I thought it fitting to dedicate a deep thoughts to my head.
1. No two heads of curly hair are created equally.
2. You need at least 4 hair products (a “cocktail”) to typically make curly hair look good. And they all contradict each other in what they do. Also: products for curly hair work on half about of the population of curly hair at a time. Generally either the thick kind or the fine kind, never both…and they say nothing about this on the packaging.
3. Hair brushes are the devil.
4. Curly hair will look horrible for few days, and then you’ll wake up one morning and have the best hair day of your life. Without doing anything different.
5. Hollywood seems to think that only the crazy, artsy, pre-makeover women should wear their curls naturally. If a curly girl all of a sudden becomes serious about something, lands an important job or gets their life in order, the first thing that happens is that their hair is straightened. Except Andie MacDowell who has with few exceptions, kept her curls in most of her roles. She is like the curly girls angel of cinema.
6. There is no such thing as running hands through curly hair. Stop anyone before they try and get stuck.
7. Humidity is a blessing and a curse. It’s basically the goldilocks of curly hair.
8. There are so many types of curly hair that there had to be a system of number and letters created to sort it all out. Yet few in the hair industry seem to have ever heard of these, so I’m not really sure the point. None of these types can use the same combinations of products and yet almost no products talk about the differences.
9. This also means that most people who claim to be curly hair cutting experts may have no idea how to cut YOUR curly hair.
10. However, when curly girls hit the sweet spot with cut, climate and products there is no better hair. The amount of compliments you get when this spot happens is proof.
Now to amuse you and illustrate how I began this post, we will take a walk down my own curly girl memory lane: